If you're sedentary you take less than 10,000 steps per day. If you have a job that requires walking like a nurse or postal worker you'll be taking even more steps.
So what can you do to protect your knee as you walk?
- Bend your knees slightly (keep a soft knee) with every step and while you stand.
- When you're walking, concentrate on keeping your heel on the ground as long as possible (this discourages toe walking).
- When you walk, concentrate on keeping your foot pointing straight ahead with every step and keeping the direction of your knee bend straight over the foot.
- Keep your hips loose and rotating with each step.
- Look for shoes that are stable such as an athletic shoe or walking shoe that bend easily in the forefoot.
- Foot Orthotics help to guide your foot so that it doesn't pronate.